AUTHOR: Linn Woodard TITLE: Shopping the Farmer's Market DATE: 5/30/2008 04:53:00 PM ----- BODY:
Okay, so I took the first step toward starting new food habits for our family...I went to the farmer's market today.
I have to say, I felt a little overwhelmed. Now, I am no stranger to farmer's markets...I love them. I feel so healthy and inspired, just wandering the aisles among the gorgeous produce that's been lovingly tended to. I've always wanted to make going to the farmer's market a regular event for my boys (even before I had kids, I thought about this!) So why the sudden overwhelmed feeling?
Two reasons:
1. In the past, I've gone to the farmer's market to just buy whatever looks good to me that morning...to supplement my regular shopping, but not to replace it. Today, I knew I wanted to buy any fruits and vegetables we would need for at least several days. I think I was mostly worried we'd not be able to survive on what I found there with *gasp* no shopping list!
2. Even though the other trips were more casual, I almost always have my dad along. My dad is a talker. He knows the vendors and chats and laughs with Vincenzo about his current crops, and just generally seems to know his way around. I, on the other hand, wander about aimlessly, not knowing whom to buy from and what is a good price.
Okay, so I'm a novice. I need Farmer's Market 101. I'll try to remember to update you on my progress in this area.
--------